Thursday, June 05, 2008

 

May2008 Council Election

After being a Labour Councillor representing the Ward of Pontprennau & Old St. Mellons for nine years, I was of course disappointed when in the recent May election I lost my seat. This has been a very interesting Ward to represent and has been a lot of fun - I think for everyone! I would very much like that to go on. This used to be a 100% Conservative Ward, and one which many felt would never change. One of those Wards where it was often said that the Cllr didn't have to do any work at all to be re-elected. It was an absolute certainty that no matter what the person did or didn't do, - the Conservative voters would come out on the day. All political Parties have areas like this of course, however in 1999 when the new Labour Government was very very popular and the Tories were very unpopular, the Labour Party took both seats in the Ward.


I worked hard for the next 5 years, and when we got to the 2004 election I held my seat. However, the other Labour Councillor was not standing in this area again, and the new candidate who would have been great for this Ward was not known and didn't live in the area and so was not elected. Therefore, residents then came to have one Tory and one Labour Councillor.


It is now of course the turn of the Labour Party to be unpopular, - and so off we go in a different direction again with the Ward now having 2 Tory Councillors.

I have made a decision to carry on working in the area for the coming 4 years for several reasons.

  1. I have thoroughly enjoyed working in the community, and I can see no reason why I shouldn't simply carry on working on a voluntary basis.

  2. I have been contacted by some residents who say that they are Labour supporters and when they need help or advice they would prefer to speak to a Labour Party member.

  3. I have nine years of experience and I care a lot about the residents in the area and want to go on helping wherever and whenever possible.

  4. Even people who are Conservative voters have said that they felt it was much more democratic when there were the 2 of us, both from very different Parties with very different views. It is sad that the Ward has now become less interesting.

  5. I have been and will continue to be very critical of the fact that the 2 Conservative Cllrs are both County Cllrs in the Ward and Community Cllrs in the village of Old St. Mellons. There are many problems with this in my opinion, not least is the fact that both the County and Community Councils meet on the same day each month. I have heard the argument coming from them stating that the meetings are held at different times. It is true that they begin at different times with the meeting of the County Council beginning at 4.30pm at either City Hall or County Hall. Then, the Community Council meeting is held in the village hall beginning at 19.30. Therefore, if the County Council meeting finishes by 19.00 they can attend both meetings, however I do have a list of all the times in the last 4 years when the Conservative Cllr either had to leave the meeting of the County Council early to attend the meeting of the Community Council, or she had to miss the Community Council meeting altogether. There are many residents in the village who would have liked a place on the Community Council but couldn't get in. Why do the Conservative Cllrs want to hold 2 posts? Why won't they make space for other residents to play an active part in the community?

I have a lot of concerns about many things going on in this Ward and this is why I will be staying involved in everything, and keeping an eye on everything. I will continue to keep residents informed of all issues of interest and importance - and in 4 years, I'll be back!


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?