Sunday, January 18, 2009

 

Another Vote Lost by One!

Monday 12th January 2009 - I attended a meeting of Children & Young People Scrutiny Committee, of which as mentioned before one of the Cllrs representing Pontprennau & Old St. Mellons is a member. It was arranged to discuss the proposals to demolish Eastern Leisure Centre and build a school on the site to replace Llanrumney and Rumney High Schools. The proposal had again been 'called in' by local Councillors who are against it. There are issues stemming from this which will of course affect the majority of children on this side of Cardiff.

I estimate a few hundred people turned up to hear the debate. Naturally there were some quite tense moments throughout the discussions, but for the most part the public made every effort to stay as calm as possible, listening intently to the arguments.

The Conservative Cllr for Pontprennau & Old St. Mellons did attend, but as usual she left early - way before the expected end and certainly before she had the chance to vote on the proposals, and once again the vote was lost by one. Of course she made excuses but the bottom line is she is failing to represent the residents of her Ward at crucial times. As she departed those nearby were asking me 'What could possibly be more important to a County Councillor than the education of Cardiff's children?' I could only say that I have no idea but I think her lack of commitment is inexcusable - it's actions that count not words.

I wonder if the other Conservative Councillors in attendance were as disappointed as the residents and I. I am quite sure I will hear a great deal more about this, so Watch This Space!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?